Indiana Rolls Past Iowa, 6-1
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – No. 45 Indiana cruised to a 6-1 victory over the No. 72 Iowa Hawkeyes on Saturday afternoon at the IU Outdoor Courts. The Hoosiers have won four of their last five matches with the win.
To begin the day, Indiana’s (15-5, 4-2) Leslie Hureau and Shannon Murdy dominated their No. 3 doubles match over Ally Majercik and Shelby Talcott of Iowa (7-10, 1-4), 8-1. Kayla Fujimoto and Evgeniya Vertesheva followed with a win of their own at No. 2, 8-4, to clinch the doubles point for IU.
In singles, Indiana freshmen Katie Klyczek and Carolyn Chupa played brilliantly in the No. 3 and No. 4 matches, respectively. Klyczek topped Iowa’s Morven McColloch, giving up just one game, 6-1, 6-0. Chupa’s match finished just moments later as she won all but two games over Katie Zordani, 6-2, 6-0.
IU’s Murdy clinched the match for the home team with a straight-set win in the No. 6 position, topping Christina Harazin, 6-1, 6-4. Rounding out Indiana’s remaining team points were Alecia Kauss at No. 5 and Leslie Hureau at No. 1. Kauss took a 6-3, 6-1 win over Ellen Silver of the Hawkeyes. Hureau, ranked No. 99 nationally, was triumphant over No. 115 Sonja Molnar, 6-1, 7-5.
The Hoosiers will welcome No. 17 Nebraska on Sunday, April 8. The match will begin at 11 a.m. ET at the IU Tennis Complex.
No. 45 Indiana 6, Iowa 1
1. #99 Leslie Hureau (IND) def. #115 Sonja Molnar (IOWA) 6-1, 7-5
2. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Evgeniya Vertesheva (IND) 7-5, 6-2
3. Katie Klyczek (IND) def. Morven McColloch (IOWA) 6-1, 6-0
4. Carolyn Chupa (IND) def. Katie Zordani (IOWA) 6-2, 6-0
5. Alecia Kauss (IND) def. Ellen Silver (IOWA) 6-3, 6-1
6. Shannon Murdy (IND) def. Christina Harazin (IOWA) 6-1, 6-4
1. Sonja Molnar/Morven McColloch (IOWA) def. Sophie Garre/Katie Klyczek (IND) 8-6
2. Kayla Fujimoto/Evgeniya Vertesheva (IND) def. Ellen Silver/Katie Zordani (IOWA) 8-4
3. Leslie Hureau/Shannon Murdy (IND) def. Ally Majercik/Shelby Talcott (IOWA) 8-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,4,6,5,1,2)
- IUHoosiers.com -