Hoosiers Top Badgers, Advance in Big Ten Tournament
COLUMBUS, Ohio – A rain delay did not cool off No. 53 Indiana as it topped Wisconsin in the opening round of the Big Ten Women’s Tennis Tournament on Thursday, 4-0. The seventh-seeded Hoosiers advance to take on second-seeded Michigan on Friday.
IU’s Shannon Murdy and Evgeniya Vertesheva got things started on the right foot as they topped Angela Chupa and Sarah Loebel of Wisconsin in the No. 3 match, 8-1. In the No. 1 match, Leslie Hureau and Sophie Garre clinched the doubles point for the Hoosiers with an 8-6 victory.
In singles play, Hureau rode her doubles momentum to take the No. 1 match in dominating fashion. She did notrelinquish a game to UW’s Alaina Trgovich to win in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0. IU freshman Alecia Kauss followed with a consecutive set triumph of her own at the No. 5 position, 6-4, 6-2. Katie Klyzcek then polished off the Indiana win with a 6-1, 7-5 victory at No. 3 over Wisconsin’s Loebel, 6-1, 7-5. The remaining matches went unfinished.
Indiana and Michigan will square off on Friday afternoon at 2 p.m. ET in the quarterfinals.
Indiana 4, Wisconsin 0
1. #71 Leslie Hureau (IU) def. Alaina Trgovich (WIS) 6-0, 6-0
2. Evgeniya Vertesheva (IU) vs. Hannah Berner (WIS) unfinished
3. Katie Klyczek (IU) def. Sarah Loebel (WIS) 6-1, 7-5
4. Carolyn Chupa (IU) vs. Nova Patel (WIS) 6-2, unfinished
5. Alecia Kauss (IU) def. Aleksandra Markovic (WIS) 6-4, 6-2
6. Shannon Murdy (IU) vs. Angela Chupa (WIS) unfinished
1. Leslie Hureau/Sophie Garre (IU) def. Alaina Trgovich/Nicky Stracar (WIS) 8-6
2. Katie Klyczek/Kayla Fujimoto (IU) vs. Hannah Berner/Nova Patel (WIS) 8-8 (3-4), unfinishe
3. Shannon Murdy/Evgeniya Vertesheva (IU) def. Angela Chupa/Sarah Loebel (WIS) 8-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,5,3)
- IUHoosiers.com -