Hoosiers Fall on the Road at Minnesota
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. – The No. 47 Indiana women’s tennis team fell to No. 31 Minnesota on Friday night in Minneapolis, 7-0. The Gophers improved to 4-4 in conference play with the win.
In doubles, Minnesota (14-5, 4-4) took the No. 1 match to begin things. Indiana (15-7, 4-4) rebounded with a win at No. 3 as Leslie Hureau and Shannon Murdy topped Julia Courter and Aria Lambert, 8-6. The Gopher duo of Alexa Palen and Doron Muravnik then clinched the doubles point by just edging IU’s Evgeniya Vertehseva and Kayla Fujimoto in the No. 2 position, 9-7.
In singles play, Minnesota played very well taking five of the six matches in straight sets. Indiana’s Hureau, ranked No. 65 nationally played tough, but lost after a competitive third set to Natallia Pintusava, 6-1, 4-6, 6-4.
IU will now travel to Wisconsin to take on the Badgers on Sunday. That match will begin at Noon ET in Madison.
No. 31 Minnesota 7, No. 47 Indiana 0
1. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. No. 65 Leslie Hureau (IND) 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
2. No. 124 Alexa Palen (MINN) def. Evgeniya Vertesheva (IND) 6-2, 6-4
3. Doron Muravnik (MINN) def. Katie Klyczek (IND) 6-2, 6-2
4. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Alecia Kauss (IND) 6-3, 6-3
5. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Shannon Murdy (IND) 6-0, 7-6 (2)
6. Yuliana Umanets (MINN) def. Kayla Fujimoto (IND) 6-4, 6-4
1. No. 45 Natallia Pintusava/Magdalena Wiecha (MINN) def. Sophie Garre/Kate Klyczek (IND) 8-4
2. Alexa Palen/Doron Muravnik (MINN) def. Evgeniya Vertesheva/Kayla Fujimoto (IND) 9-7
3. Leslie Hureau/Shannon Murdy (IND) def. Julia Courter/Aria Lambert (MINN) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,6,4,5,2,1)
- IUHoosiers.com -