Badgers Edge Hoosiers on Sunday, 5-2
MADISON, Wis. – Wisconsin got the best of No. 47 Indiana on Sunday afternoon in Madison, 5-2. Evgeniya Vertesheva and Shannon Murdy picked up singles victories to account for IU’s points for the day.
In doubles, Indiana jumped ahead early as Vertesheva and Kayla Fujimoto won their No. 2 match over Nova Patel and Hannah Berner of Wisconsin, 8-6. The Badgers bounced back with an 8-5 triumph at No. 1 to even it up in doubles. In the deciding No. 3 match, UW’s Angela Chupa and Sarah Loebel just snuck past IU’s Leslie Hureau and Murdy, 8-6, to give the Badgers the doubles point.
Vertesheva cruised in the No. 2 singles position topping Wisconsin’s Nicky Stracar in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1. Murdy then gave Indiana a 2-1 edge in the team scoring with her consecutive set win over Patel at No. 5, 6-2, 6-4.
Wisconsin then evened the match at 2-2 as Aleksandra Markovic topped IU’s Fujimoto in the No. 6 match, 7-5, 6-4. The remaining three matches all went into a third set, beginning with the No. 1 match which saw UW’s Alaina Trgovich top No. 65 Hureau, 6-4, 1-6, 6-2.
Then with the match on the line, Indiana’s Katie Klyczek and Wisconsin’s Berner found themselves in a battle. Berner took the first set, 6-0. Klyczek did not let that faze her as she responded with a second set victory, 4-6. But it was Berner who would hold on in the third set, 6-3, to clinch the match for the home team.
IU will next hit the courts at Illinois on Friday, April 20. That match will begin at 4 p.m. ET in Champaign.
Wisconsin 5, No. 47 Indiana 2
1. Alaina Trgovich (UW) def. No. 65 Leslie Hureau (IND), 6-4, 1-6, 6-2
2. Evgeniya Vertesheva (IND) def. Nicky Stracar (UW), 6-2, 6-1
3. Hannah Berner (UW) def. Katie Klyczek (IND), 6-0, 4-6, 6-3
4. Sarah Loebel (UW) def. Alecia Kauss (IND), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Shannon Murdy (IND) def. Nova Patel (UW), 6-2, 6-4
6. Aleksandra Markovic (UW) def. Kayla Fujimoto (IND), 7-5, 6-4
1. Nicky Stracar / Alaina Trgovich (UW) def. Sophie Garre / Katie Klyczek (IND), 8-5
2. Evgeniya Vertesheva/ Kayla Fujimoto (IND) def. Nova Patel / Hannah Berner (UW), 8-6
3. Angela Chupa / Sarah Loebel (UW) def. Leslie Hureau/Shannon Murdy (IND), 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 1, 3); Singles (2, 5, 6, 1, 3, 4)
- IUHoosiers.com -