No. 12 Northwestern Too Much for No. 47 Hoosiers on Senior Day
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – The No. 47 Indiana (15-10, 4-7) women’s tennis team fell at home to No. 12 Northwestern (17-7, 10-1) on Sunday afternoon, 7-0. The Wildcats clinched the 2012 Big Ten title with the win over the Hoosiers.
In doubles, Northwestern took the early advantage with a win in the No. 2 match. The remaining two matches were very competitive to decide who would take the doubles point. At No. 1, IU’s Sophie Garre and Leslie Hureau found themselves in a battle with NU’s Natalie Edell and Brittany Wowchuk as the score read 6-6 late in the match. But the Northwestern combo went on to win two consecutive games to take the match and the doubles point for the Wildcats. Indiana’s No. 3 doubles duo of Shannon Murdy and Evgeniya Vertesheva then went on to earn a victory over Belinda Niu andKate Turvy, 8-5.
To begin singles, Northwestern won in straight sets in the No. 4, No. 3 and No. 1 matches to clinch the match for the visiting team. IU’s Murdy went the distance at No. 6 before falling to Nida Hamilton, 6-4, 5-7, 6-1. Indiana’s lone senior Vertesheva played well in the No. 2 position, but couldn’t hold on as NU’s Niu took the win, 6-2, 7-5. Hoosier freshman Alecia Kauss had a strongouting against Linda Abu Mushrefova in the No. 5 match, but fell just short in three sets, 6-2, 4-6, 6-4.
Indiana will now head to Columbus, Ohio to play in the 2012 Big Ten Women’s Tennis Tournament. IU will begin play on Thursday, April 26. Stay tuned to IUHoosiers.com on Sunday evening to see when the Hoosiers will be in action as the final seeding will be determined with the conclusion of other conference matches.
No. 12 Northwestern 7, Indiana 0
1. #17 Kate Turvy (NU) def. #77 Leslie Hureau (IND) 7-6, 6-1
2. Belinda Niu (NU) def. Evgeniya Vertesheva (IND) 6-2, 7-5
3. #67 Brittany Wowchuk (NU) def. Katie Klyczek (IND) 6-2, 6-3
4. Veronica Corning (NU) def. Carolyn Chupa (IND) 6-3, 6-1
5. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. Alecia Kauss (IND) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
6. Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Shannon Murdy (IND) 6-4, 5-7, 6-1
1. #90 Linda Abu Mushrefova/Veronica Corning (NU) def. Sophie Garre/Leslie Hureau (IND) 8-6
2. Natalie Edell/Brittany Wowchuk (NU) def. Kayla Fujimoto/Katie Klyczek (IND) 8-3
3. Shannon Murdy/Evgeniya Vertesheva (IND) def. Belinda Niu/Kate Turvy (NU) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,3,1,6,2,5)
- IUHoosiers.com -