NC State's Sullivan Wins Third Straight as MT Falls to UVa
Julian Sullivan picked up a win in singles for the third straight match as No. 67 NC State fell to No. 1 Virginia, 6-1, at Pullen Park on Friday, April 8.
Sullivan downed Philippe Oudshoorn in three sets, 6-1, 0-6, 6-4, to provide a point for the Wolfpack. Jaime Pulgar took eight games from the second-ranked player in the country, Alex Domijan, but ultimately fell, 6-4, 6-4.
The Cavaliers grabbed a tight doubles point to open play with an early 1-0 advantage, despite Dominic Hodgson and Rob Lowe besting Michael Shabaz and Justin Shane, 8-6.
The loss sends the Pack to 8-12 (0-8 ACC) on the year, while the Cavaliers remain undefeated at 23-0 (8-0 ACC).
NC State will hold its last home match of the season this Sunday, April 10, against No. 38 Virginia Tech. Play is slated to begin at 1 p.m. at Pullen Park.
The match against the Hokies will serve as Senior Day for both David Chermak and Rob Lowe. Chermak, a native of Raleigh, owns 20 singles and 15 doubles victories for his career. Lowe, a product of Pershore, U.K., boasts 41 wins in doubles and 20 in solo action.
No. 1 Virginia (23-0, 8-0 ACC) d. No. 67 NC State (8-12, 0-8 ACC), 6-1
1. Dominic Hodgson / Rob Lowe (NCSU) d. Michael Shabaz / Justin Shane (UVa), 8-6
2. Alex Domijan / Steve Eelkman Rooda (UVa) d. Jaime Pulgar / Dave Thomson (NCSU), 8-6
3. Julen Uriquen / Santiago Villegas (UVa.) d. Akash Gujarati / Julian Sullivan (NCSU), 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. No. 2 Alex Domijan (UVa) d. Jaime Pulgar (NCSU), 6-4, 6-4
2. No. 5 Michael Shabaz (UVa) d. Dominic Hodgson (NCSU), 6-2, 6-3
3. Julen Uriquen (UVa)d . Rafael Paez (NCSU), 6-4, 6-0
4. No. 120 Justin Shane (UVa) d. Ivan Sanchez Gomez (NCSU), 7-6(4), 6-3
5. Julian Sullivan (NCSU) d. Philippe Oudshoorn (UVa), 6-1, 0-6, 6-4
6. Santiago Villegas (UVa) d. Dave Thomson (NCSU), 7-6(9), 3-6, 6-3
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1, 4, 5, 6