NC State Men’s Tennis Tops No. 38 VT on Senior Day, 5-2
No. 67 NC State picked up the doubles point and got four wins in singles play to take down No. 38 Virginia Tech, 5-2, on Sunday, April 10 at Pullen Park.
The match served as Senior Day for both David Chermak and Rob Lowe. Chermak, a native of Raleigh, owns 20 singles and 16 doubles victories for his career. Lowe, a product of Pershore, U.K., boasts 42 wins in doubles and 20 in solo action. Both grabbed doubles victories today.
The Pack rolled out of the gate, sweeping doubles play to grab an early 1-0 lead. Chermak and Julian Sullivan quickly dismissed Patrick Daciek and Trpimir Kujundzic, 8-3, while Jaime Pulgar and Dave Thomson downed Corrado Degl' Incerti Tocci and Luka Somen, 8-4. Dominic Hodgson and Lowe completed the sweep by topping No. 66 Will Beck and Pedro Graber, 8-7 (5).
Play was much tighter in singles action, but the Wolfpack simply would not be denied. Pulgar put away No. 50 Somen, 6-1, 6-4, and Hodgson followed by beating Daciek, 6-4, 6-2. Dave Thomson clinched it for the Pack with a 7-6(5), 7-5 win over Kujundzic.
Ivan Sanchez Gomez added a fifth team point with a come from behind win over Graber, 5-7, 6-1, 6-4.
The win moves the Pack to 9-12 (1-8 ACC), while the Hokies fall to 12-9 (4-5 ACC).
NC State will wrap up its regular season next weekend with road matches at Maryland and Boston College.
No. 67 NC State (9-12, 1-8 ACC) d. No. 38 Virginia Tech (12-9, 4-5 ACC), 5-2
1. Dominic Hodgson / Rob Lowe (NCSU) d. No. 66 Will Beck / Pedro Graber (VT), 8-7(5)
2. Jaime Pulgar / Dave Thomson (NCSU) d. Corrado Degl' Incerti Tocci / Luka Somen (VT), 8-4
3. David Chermak / Julian Sullivan (NCSU) d. Patrick Daciek / Trpimir Kujundzic (VT), 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Jaime Pulgar (NCSU) d. No. 50 Luka Somen (VT), 6-1, 6-4
2. Dominic Hodgson (NCSU) d. Patrick Daciek (VT), 6-4, 6-2
3. Ivan Sanchez Gomez (NCSU) d. Pedro Graber (VT), 5-7, 6-1, 6-4
4. Will Beck (VT) d. Rafael Paez (NCSU), 6-2, 7-6(1)
5. Lucas Oliveira (VT) d. Julian Sullivan (NCSU), 6-4, 6-3
6. Dave Thomson (NCSU) d. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT), 7-6(5), 7-5
Order of finish: 5, 1, 4, 2, 6, 1