March 13, 2009
San Diego, Calif. - The ITA #50 University of San Diego Women's Tennis team captured another win on Friday, March 13th against the University of San Francisco Dons, to earn their seventh match victory in 2009. Freshmen Maja Sujica and Marite Raygada remained undefeated in spring, both managing wins in straight sets.
San Diego jumped out to an early lead, as the Toreros had no trouble securing the doubles sweep. On Court 2, senior Tammy Kevey and Sujica quickly disposed of USF's pair, Jennifer-Lee Heinser/Cecilia Graitan, 8-1. Not long after, Raygada and junior Justine Perl at No. 6 powered past Jessy Mekpoh and Julia Wartenburger, 8-4, for the clinching win. To finish off the sweep, on Court 1, the Torero tandem, freshman Juliette Coupez and junior Samantha Mouly, looked solid as they downed Jennifer-Lee Heinser and Cecilia Graitan, 8-3.
Wasting no time, Sujica pushed the lead to 2-0 in singles action, topping Julia Wartenburger in consecutive sets, 6-2, 6-1, on Court 3. In similar fashion at No. 6, Raygada also earned her second win of the day by notching a win against Alana McMahon, 6-2, 6-3.
San Diego would drop the next match at No. 5, when junior Alexandra Demidova was unable to secure the decision in favor of the Toreros against Jessy Mekpoh, losing 6-4, 6-2. But Kevey would pick up her fallen Torero teammate on Court 4, as the senior demonstrated true grit, battling to win the first set, 7-5, and dominating the second set, 6-0.
After securing the match at No. 4, San Diego would drop the final two matches at No. 1 & 2. Mouly would retire on Court 2 due to nagging injuries and Juliette Coupez would suffer a tough loss against Jennifer-Lee Heinser, 7-6, 6-2.
The Toreros will wrap up Invitational play Sunday morning, March 15th, against the Nevada Wolfpack in a 10:00 a.m. PT match.
#50 University of San Diego v. University of San Francisco
USD West Tennis Courts - San Diego, Calif.
1. Juliette Coupez/Samantha Mouly (USD) def. Jennifer-Lee Heinser/Cecilia Graitan (USF), 8-3
2. Tammy Kevey/Maja Sujica (USD) def. Mylene Martin/Alana McMahon (USF), 8-1
3. Justine Perl/Marite Raygada (USD) def. Jessy Mekpoh/Julia Wartenburger (USF), 8-4
USD wins doubles point.
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Jennifer-Lee Heinser (USF) def. Juliette Coupez (USD), 7-6, 6-2
2. Mylene Martin (USF) def. Samantha Mouly (USD), 6-3, 2-6, ret.
3. Maja Sujica (USD) def. Julia Wartenburger (USF), 6-2, 6-1
4. Tammy Kevey (USD) def. Cecilia Graitan (USF), 7-5, 6-0
5. Jessy Mekpoh (USF) def. Alexandra Demidova (USD), 6-4, 6-2
6. Marite Raygada (USD) def. Alana McMahon (USF), 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 5, 4, 2, 1
USD wins match, 4-3.
Match Records: #50 University of San Diego (WCC 7-1), University of San Francisco (WCC 6-5)