San Diego, Calif. - Senior Tammy Kevey won both her individual and doubles matches in the Saturday afternoon loss to the Washington Huskies. The University of San Diego Women's Tennis team had no answer for the 35th ranked University of Washington, dropping a 6-1 decision on an overcast afternoon, playing on the USD West Tennis Courts.
The Toreros secured the first match win of the day but the Huskies would earn the next two victories and ultimately the doubles point, taking a 1-0 lead into singles play. Playing on Court 2, Kevey and freshman Maja Sujica downed Venise Chan and Aleksandra Malovic, 8-1. But the Huskies would soon follow with a win at No. 1, the Torero tandem of freshman Juliette Coupez and sophomore Milou Teeling fell to Joyce Ardies and Denise Dy, 8-1. In similar fashion, freshman Marite Raygada and junior Justine Perl lost 8-1 to the Husky pairing of Samantha Smith and Lina Xu.
In singles play, the Toreros would win a lone point at No. 3, as Kevey won her second match of the day, downing Xu, 6-3, 6-4. Kevey has now secured 12 victories for the 2009 season.
San Diego will return to match play Tuesday, April 14th for their final regular season match against cross-town rival San Diego State University.
#54 USD 1, #35 UW 6
1. Ardies/Dy (UW) def. Coupez/Teeling (USD), 8-1
2. Sujica/Kevey (USD) def. Chan/Malovic (UW), 8-2
3. Smith/Xu (UW) def. Raygada/Perl (USD), 8-1*
*Clinching match...Order: 2, 1, 3
Washington wins doubles point.
1. #24 Venise Chan (UW) def. Juliette Coupez (USD); 6-3, 6-4
2. #78 Denise Dy (UW) def. Maja Sujica (USD); 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. #121 Tammy Kevey (USD) def. Lina Xu (UW); 6-3, 6-4
4. Samantha Smith (UW) def. Milou Teeling (USD); 6-1, 6-2
5. Joyce Ardies (UW) def. Marite Raygada (USD); 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Aleksandra Malovic (UW) def. Alexandra Demidova (USD); 6-2, 6-4*
*Deciding match...Order: 4, 1, 3, 6, 5, 2
Washington wins match, 6-1.
Match Records: #54 University of San Diego (10-8 WCC), #35 University of Washington (14-7 Pac-10)