San Diego will take on USF tomorrow in consolation play
San Diego, Calif. (Barnes Tennis Center) - The USD Women's Tennis team dropped a 4-0 decision to the Gaels of St. Mary's College in the semifinal round of the WCC Tournament Saturday afternoon at the Barnes Tennis Center in Point Loma. San Diego will face USF tomorrow in an 11:30 am match for a chance at taking third place in the tournament.
San Diego got off to a rough start in doubles play and was never able to fully recover. St. Mary's won the first match on Court 1, as the Gael pair, Alex Poorta and Claire Soper, downed the Torero tandem of freshman Juliette Coupez and sophomore Milou Teeling, 8-6. Then at No. 3 to earn the doubles point, Erin Young and Marah Calvo notched a deciding win against freshman Marite Raygada and junior Alexandra Demidova by a final of 8-5.
Much of the same was the case moving in to singles play, as the Gaels never let up against the Toreros, enduring only the minimum three matches for the win. Senior Tammy Kevey lost to Soper at No. 3, 6-0, 6-1. Then at No. 2, freshman Maja Sujica was outlasted by Anna Chkhikvishvili, 6-2, 6-2, leaving the Gaels looking for only one more victory to secure the overall win. On Court 6 Demidova fell to Young, 6-3, 6-4.
San Diego will try for a third place finish tomorrow when they take on the Dons of San Francisco at 11:30 am in consolation play.
#61 USD 0, SMC 4
1. Poorta/Soper (SMC) def. Teeling/Coupez (USD), 8-6
2. Sujica/Kevey (USD) vs. Strijbis/Chkhikvishvili (SMC), DNF
3. Young/Calvo (SMC) def. Raygada/Demidova (USD), 8-5
Order: 1, 3
SMC wins doubles point.
1. Juliette Coupez (USD) vs. Alex Poorta (SMC), DNF
2. Anna Chkhikvishvili (SMC) def. Maja Sujica (USD), 6-2, 6-2
3. Claire Soper (SMC) def. Tammy Kevey (USD), 6-0, 6-1
4. Milou Teeling (USD) vs. Sabrina Gunnarsson (SMC), DNF
5. Marite Raygada (USD) vs. Nienke Strijbis, DNF
6. Erin Young (SMC) def. Alexandra Demidova (USD), 6-3, 6-4
Order: 3, 2, 6
SMC wins match, 4-0.
Match Records: #61 University of San Diego (12-9 WCC), St. Mary's College (9-10 WCC)