Eugene, Oregon - The University of San Diego Women's Tennis team (9-7) would fall short Friday afternoon in facing the Orgeon Ducks (8-9), surrendering a 4-3 decision to their Pac-10 competitor. San Diego is still looking for their tenth win of the 2009 spring season and will look to achieve that mark Sunday against the Cougars of Washington State.
In doubles, the Toreros would fall to the Ducks, allowing Oregon an early 1-0 advantage. Pairing up for the first time this year at No. 1, freshman Juliette Coupez and sophomore Milou Teeling earned the only win in doubles for USD, defeating Ana Cecilia Olivos and Pavlina Smatova, 8-5.
Moving in to singles action, San Diego would win at No. 1, 5, and 6 but earn no victories from the heart of their lineup. On Court 1, Coupez earned her second win of the day against Carment Seremeta, 6-3, 6-0. Star freshman Marite Raygada powered past Stephanie Macfarlane, 7-5, 6-4 at No. 5. And playing at the No. 6 position, junior Alexandra Demidova earned a win against Trudie du Toit, 7-6, 4-6, 7-5.
San Diego will face Washington State Sunday, April 5th at 10:00 a.m. PT to wrap up the three game road-trip.
USD 3, Oregon, 4
1. Coupez/Teeling (USD) def. Olivos/Smatova (OU), 8-5
2. Seremeta/du Toit (OU) def. Sujica/Kevey (USD), 8-6
3. Hirt/Janse van Rensburg (OU) def. Raygada/Mouly (USD), 8-1
Oregon wins doubles point.
1. Juliette Coupez (USD) def. Carment Seremeta (UO), 6-3, 6-0
2. Pavlina Smatova (UO) def. Samantha Mouly (USD), 6-1, 3-2 (ret.)
3. Ana Cecilia Olivos (UO) def. Maja Sujica (USD), 6-7, 6-2, 7-6
4. Madelie Janse van Rensburg (UO) def. Tammy Kevey (USD), 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Marite Raygada (USD) def. Stephanie Macfarlane, 7-5, 6-4
6. Alexandra Demidova (USD) def. Trudie du Toit (UO), 7-6, 4-6, 7-5
Oregon wins match, 4-3.
Match Records: #54 University of San Diego (9-7 WCC), University of Oregon (8-9 Pac-10)