Malibu, Calif. - Competing in its first away match of the season, the University of San Diego Women's Tennis team took on the Pepperdine Waves but fell short, dropping the final decision 6-1. Freshman Marite Raygada secured the lone point for the Toreros, notching a win against Danielle Thomasma in straight sets
In doubles, San Diego changed up its traditional lineup at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions, as freshman Juliette Coupez and junior Justine Perl competed against #49 Anamika Bhargava and Alex Liles, falling 8-2. The new pairing of Raygada and junior Samantha Mouly moved the Toreros even with the Waves, downing Tania Rice and Danielle Thomasma, 8-3. But Pepperdine would eventually go on to win the point, capturing the victory at No. 2, as Andrea Oates and Alexandria Walters pushed past freshman Maja Sujica and senior Tammy Kevey, 9-7.
The Waves would go on to win the first two matches in singles on Court 3 and 4. Sujica fell to Liles, 6-0, 6-2. And Kevey dropped a 6-3, 6-0 to Oates. San Diego would come back at No. 6, when Raygada earned the only Torero point versus Thomasma, 6-1, 6-2. But Pepperdine would soon after clinch the match win, as Rice secured a two set decision (6-1, 6-2) against USD's Alexandra Demidova.
San Diego will look to get back to winning ways when they continue their roadtrip north to Eugene, Oregon to take on the Ducks on Friday, April 3rd at 2:00 p.m. PT.
#51 University of San Diego v. #56 Pepperdine University
USD West Tennis Court - San Diego, Calif.
Pepperdine wins doubles point.
1. #49 Anamika Bhargava/Alex Liles (PEP) def. Juliette Coupez/Justine Perl (USD) 8-2
2. Andrea Oates/Alexandria Walters (PEP) def. Maja Sujica/Tammy Kevey (USD) 9-7
3. Marite Raygada/Samantha Mouly (USD) def. Tania Rice/Danielle Thomasma (PEP) 8-3
*Deciding match...Order of finish: 1,3,2*.
1. Anamika Bhargava (PEP) def. Juliette Coupez (USD) 7-5, 6-3
2. Alexandria Walters (PEP) def. Samantha Mouly (USD) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
3. Alex Liles (PEP) def. Maja Sujica (USD) 6-0, 6-2
4. Andrea Oates (PEP) def. Tammy Kevey (USD) 6-3, 6-0
5. Tania Rice (PEP) def. Alexander Demidova (USD) 6-7, 6-3, 12-10*
6. Marite Raygada (USD) def. Danielle Thomasma (PEP) 6-1, 6-2
*Clinched Match...Order of finish: 3,4,6,5*,2,1.
Pepperdine wins match, 6-1.
Match Records: #51 University of San Diego (9-6 WCC), #56 Pepperdine University (8-8 WCC)