TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - The Oregon women's tennis team dropped a non-conference road match, 5-2, at No. 16 ranked Alabama on Monday afternoon, the first of a three-match spring break road trip.
The Crimson Tide took the doubles point by winning all three matches and finished off the match with four singles wins. Oregon falls to 7-8 on the season while the Tide move to 13-1 in 2009.
Winners for Oregon were both freshmen, Madelie Janse van Rensburg at No. 3 singles (6-2, 6-2) and Trudie du Toit at No. 5 singles (6-4, 7-6 (7-2)). Janse van Rensburg improved her duals season record to 7-7 while du Toit's record now sits at 5-4.
Oregon will play another SEC foe, LSU, on Wednesday and will stay in the state of Louisiana to battle Tulane on Thursday.
Tennis Match Results
Oregon vs Alabama
Mar 23, 2009 at Tuscaloosa, Ala.
(University of Alabama Tennis Stadium)
#16 Alabama 5, #65 Oregon 2
1. #105 Tiffany Welcher (UA) def. Carmen Seremeta (ORE) 7-5, 6-0
2. Courtney McLane (UA) def. Pavlina Smatova (ORE) 6-3, 6-2
3. M. J. van Rensburg (ORE) def. Paulina Bigos (UA) 6-2, 6-2
4. Meritt Emery (UA) def. Siobhan Cavan (ORE) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
5. Trudie du Toit (ORE) def. Shelley Godwin (UA) 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
6. Taylor Lindsey (UA) def. Claudia Hirt (ORE) 5-7, 7-5, 7-6 (7-5)
1. Tiffany Welcher/Courtney McLane (UA) def. #39 Pavlina Smatova/Ana Cecilia Olivos (ORE) 8-3
2. Paulina Bigos/Taylor Lindsey (UA) def. Carmen Seremeta/Trudie du Toit (ORE) 8-1
3. Meritt Emery/Shelley Godwin (UA) def. Claudia Hirt/M. J. van Rensburg (ORE) 8-4
Oregon 7-8; National ranking #65
Alabama 13-1; National ranking #16
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,1,3,5,4,6)