BATON ROUGE, La. - After a three-hour rain delay at LSU's outdoor W.T. Robinson Stadium, the Ducks and Tigers began their non-conference match with singles play and the hosts took five of six matches to win the dual 5-1 on Wednesday evening. The doubles session was not played due to the delay and because the Tigers had already claimed the victory in singles play.
Oregon falls to 7-9 on the season with its sixth straight loss while LSU improves to 11-4 in 2009.
Oregon's lone point of the match came at No. 6 singles, where freshman Trudie du Toit bested LSU's Kylie Adamek in straight set, 6-2, 6-2.
The only match of the day that went beyond straight sets was at No. 1 singles, where LSU's Mykala Hedburg outlasted Carmen Seremeta 3-6, 7-6, 1-0 (11-9) in a pro-style third set because the match had already been taken by the Tigers.
Oregon will continue its spring break road trip with another stop in the state of Louisiana when the Ducks square off with Tulane in New Orleans this weekend.
#21 LSU 5, #57 Oregon 1
March 25, 2009 at Baton Rouge, La.
W.T. “Dub” Robinson Tennis Stadium
1. Mykala Hedberg (LSU) def. Carmen Seremeta 3-6, 7-6, 1-0 (11-9)
2. Whitney Wolf (LSU) def. Pavlina Smatova (UO) 6-2, 6-2
3. Nicole Kantor (LSU) def. Ana Cecilia Olivos (UO) 6-2, 6-4
4. Hannah Robinson (LSU) def. Madelie Janse van Rensburg (UO) 6-4, 6-2
5. Nicole Smith (LSU) def. Siobhan Cavan (UO) 6-1, 6-1
6. Trudie du Toit (UO) def. Kylie Adamek (LSU) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish
Singles (2, 5,6,4,3,1)
LSU 11-4; National ranking #21
Oregon 7-9; National ranking #57